- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Virginia General Election
Tuesday, November 6th
Election Today!How do I vote?
What is this Election?
General elections are held to determine which candidates are elected into office.
Register to Vote in Virginia
When do I need to register to vote in Virginia?
Virginians must have been registered to vote by Monday, October 15th.
How do I register to vote in Virginia?
Am I already registered to vote?
You can check your current registration status online.
Who can register to vote in Virginia?
To register as a voter in Virginia, you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a resident of Virginia
- Be at least 18 years old by Election Day
- Not have a felony conviction (or have had your voting rights restored)
- Not have judged by a court to be incompetent to vote
- Not claim the right, and not voting in, any other state
9 out of 10 voters agree...
Politicians care more about their donors than the Americans they represent.
If 9 out of 10 Americans voted, we could fix that.
Help Get Out The Vote in Virginia by sharing this page:
Vote in Virginia
Where do I vote on Election Day?
On Election Day, you can cast your ballot at your designated precinct voting location.
To find yours, visit the Virginia Polling Place Finder.
All polling places in Virginia are open from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm. If you're in line when the polls close, you can still vote!
Can I vote by mail?
Virginians can only vote absentee if they:
- Are away from your county on Election Day due to school, work, or vacation
- Are working and/or commuting to/from work during the entire time polls are open
- Are sick or disabled, or their caretaker, preventing you from going to the polling place
- Are a first-responder
- Are active duty military (or their spouse)
- Are pregnant
- Are confined or incarcerated for a misdemeanor
- Have a religious obligation that prevents you from voting on Election Day
Vote by mail in Virginia by requesting an absentee ballot.
Absentee ballot requests must be received by November 3rd,
and returned no later than November 6th.
I'm in college away from home, which state do I vote in?
You can either register to vote in Virginia or the state you're attending school in — but not both!
I'm not in the US right now, how do I vote?
If you are a military voter or a United States citizen living abroad, you should request an overseas absentee ballot.
What ID do I need to vote?
Voter ID is required to vote in Virginia. The following forms of Photo ID are accepted:
- Virginia Driver's license or photo ID
- U.S. Passport
- Student ID
- Military ID
- Veteran's ID from Virginia DMV
- Tribal ID
- Employee ID
- Voter ID Card
If you do not have a photo ID, you can request a free voter ID card from anycounty registrar.
What if I have a disability?
Dates and deadlines can change at any time
Get election reminders in Virginia! We'll only send you about 6 emails per year.
Still have questions?
Having problems at the polls?
Voting is your right. Don't let anyone take it away. Experiencing Voter intimidation? Overzealous voter ID checks? Being turned away from voting? Faulty equipment?
Call the Election Protection Hotline for assistance.
Will you help us out?
Voter.ly is a brand new resource, dedicated to making voting as easy as possible for every American. It is incredibly important to us to know how well we're meeting that goal. Please take two minutes to complete the following survey and let us know!